Makes 15 – 25 depending on size of cutters used
350g plain flour
2.5 teaspoons ground ginger
0.5 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
175g light brown soft sugar
4 tablespoons golden syrup
1 medium egg
Prep:30min › Cook:15min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat the oven to 180 C / Gas 4.
- Put the flour, butter, ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda in a mixing bowl. Mix it all together with fingertips until crumbly. Add the sugar, syrup and egg and mix until it forms a firm pastry mix.
- Using the rolling pin, roll out the pastry to about 5mm thick. Make sure the surface and the rolling pin are well dusted with flour. Use gingerbread men cutters to cut out shapes.
- Place the cut out pastry on a greased or non-stick baking tray.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden, about 15 minutes. Check after 10 minutes. Gingerbread may be ready after 12 minutes in a fan assisted oven.
You can either use icing sugar or melted white chocolate to cover the front of your gingerbread man
You can also dip the wet gingerbread men in desicated coconut (optional)
Use a little icing sugar or melted chocolate to attach mini smarties or rasins