Hands up if you’ve got a long journey planned this Christmas?
We have! My family are a 5.5hr drive away and it’s a trip I always dread now we have a little one to entertain.
Here are some top tips to help you prepare.
- Make sure your baby isn’t too hot or too cold. If she’s in her car seat for ages she may get quite sweaty.
TOP TIP – Put a muslin between baby and the car seat, the fabric car seats are made of can get very sweaty.
2. Allow extra traveling time so you can take a break every few hours. Even a quick stop for a nappy change or a snack, will let him stretch and get rid of any pent up energy.
3. Take enough water, milk and toddler snacks in case you’re delayed.
4. On flights the hand luggage restrictions on liquids don’t apply to your baby’s food and drink. You can also keep your buggy right up until you board which is great if they’re likely to need a nap.
5. Pack a baby bottle filled with cooled boiled water in your hand luggage if you’re going by plane. Cabin air can be very dry so she may like to sip some water if it’s not time for her feed
6. Take a new toy as well as a couple of favourite ones. If you wrap it up your little one will also have the fun of unwrapping it too. Having fun car toys that they only get to play with in the car can help them look forward to a journey.
9. If you’re flying and your worried about your little ones ears popping try and time their feed so they’re drinking during take off and landing.
10. It can get quite messy trying to spoon-feed a baby during a bumpy car, plane or train journey. Take a couple of spare muslins to cover you and the seat, and lots of wipes. Or we used to take Ella’s kitchen pouches when weaning and she would eat them straight from the pouch, which was a lot less messy!